1 Position for Junior Researcher
Position available from: September 2020
Temporary position for 3 years (30h/week)
The Institute for Advanced Studies (IHS) is an independent, non-profit research institute in Vienna (Austria). It brings together high-level expertise from various disciplines (economics, sociology, and political science, among others) to address fundamental economic and social problems and policy choices.
IHS is pleased to announce an opening for one Junior Researcher (PhD candidate). The position is directed at an early stage career scientist with the ambition to pursue his/her PhD in one of the economic and social sciences featured at the Institute. Specifically, the position is available in the research field of Health Economics and Health Policy.
The open position is integrated in the respective Research Group at IHS (for further details, see https://www.ihs.ac.at/research). The salary is oriented along the FWF scheme for pre-doctoral staff. Half of the time is dedicated to writing the dissertation; the other half of the time is to work on ongoing IHS research projects. There is no teaching obligation, and Junior Researchers are part of the IHS Doctoral College. The contract with IHS will include a dissertation agreement, which will be updated regularly over time.
- MA, preferably from economics and social sciences
- Excellent knowledge of, and interest in one of the four research fields mentioned above
- Either already enrolled, or planning to enroll, as a PhD candidate at a university in Austria or abroad, in economic or social sciences (or another discipline arguably relevant for the chosen research field), with the plan to write a dissertation
- Fluent in English, good command of German
- Experience with statistical software such as Stata, Matlab, SPSS, or R; preferably also good command in syntax writing
- Preferably experienced with cooperating in empirical research projects
- Good knowledge of the institutional setup of Austria’s public administration and economic policies
- Passionate in communicating with decision makers in science, politics, business, and society
If you fit this description, you can expect the following at the Institute:
You will do research in ongoing projects at IHS, and also have the opportunity to pursue your scientific interests in the context of your dissertation project. IHS offers excellent conditions for academic publishing and for scholarly exchange on an international level. You will be engaged in an intellectually challenging and exciting environment with an international atmosphere, and flexible and family-friendly working times. The Institute is located in the eighth district of Vienna, with excellent access to public transportation.
The salary offer for one full-time position is € 2.205,60 (before taxes) per month (14x). The Institute has an equal opportunity policy, with a special emphasis on increasing the number of women in research positions, and specifically encourages female candidates to apply for the open positions.
Your application should consist of an academic CV as well as a cover letter. Among other things, the cover letter shall contain your motivation to pursue a PhD, why you are interested in the research field of Health Economics and Health Policy, and at least two contacts for references. Please also enclose your master thesis, or one other paper (unpublished or published) that you consider representative of your writing skills. You may also want to enclose your dissertation outline, if available.
Please send all the documents mentioned above as pdf until 5 August 2020 via E-Mail to:
Dr. Thomas König
Institut für Höhere Studien
Josefstädter Straße 39, 1080 Wien
The decision on offers will be made no later than mid-August.
For further questions, please do not hesitate to also contact Thomas König. We look forward to your application!