What is the ATHEA?
The Austrian Health Economics Association (ATHEA) is a scientific society under Austrian law. It was founded in 2012 as a platform to promote joint activities and academic exchanges between researchers working in Austria in the field of health care and nursing care economics. Ordinary members can only be persons active in these fields of research.
In the past, the most intensive contacts between Austrian researchers took place for the most part at international conferences. A comprehensive (national) networking opportunity in Austria did not exist. There was also a lack of a collective contact for international scientific associations, such as the IHEA (International Health Economics Association). Out of this came the idea to found a corresponding scientific association in Austria. The implementation took place with the entry of the ATHEA into the registry of associations on 14.11.2012.
ATHEA has set itself the following goals:
- Promotion of scientific exchange in the field of health economics and health policy in Austria
- Connection to international associations, such as the EuHEA (European Health Economics Association), where it has its seat and its voice
- Encourage knowledge sharing with international researchers, policymakers and the public through organizing events such as conferences, panel discussions and seminars
- Increasing the understanding of the research field of health economics
- Promoting young researchers, especially by organizing events that bring together early career researchers and their work with the expertise of senior researchers